Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Cat People (1982)

“Cat People” was a movie I didn’t get to watch until I was much older but I remember seeing pictures for it in the schedule books for our cable subscription that we received every month and then seeing the box at the video rental stores. When I finally saw it, I was impressed that it was something more than just a typical werewolf movie; it was a creepy psychological thriller that didn’t need to depend on violence and high body count to be an effective horror movie (this was made in the 80’s after all). I enjoyed seeing a shape shifter turn into something besides a werewolf (although I love werewolves!) and the reason behind their shape shifting. The only thing negative I can say about this movie was the film quality and how it looks dark and dirty when compared to other movies that were produced at that time. I look forward to when they release a remastered version.

Irena meets her long lost brother Paul when she comes to New Orleans. She was only five when she last saw him and has spent her childhood in foster homes. Unknown to Irena, the siblings are were-cats and change into large panthers whenever they have sex with normal people. They can only have sex with each other without causing the change, just like their parents who were also siblings. Irena develops feelings for a zoologist named Oliver. With the sexual tension high, the movie explores the deadly love triangle that happens to involve two mystical beasts.


Favorite moment – The opening song “Cat People” that was performed by David Bowie.


Malcolm McDowell as Paul

Paul in panther form

I loved the dream-state flashbacks


No comments:

Post a Comment