Search This Blog

Friday, January 2, 2015

House of the Devil (2009) #397

The only real way to enjoy director Ti West is 1) watch his films with an open mind and 2) watch more than one of his films. While I appreciate his efforts in the 2013 film "Sacrament", I was ultimately disappointed with the final product. So when I watched and finished "House of the Devil", I felt almost the same way. Both films offer the viewer a very, very slow "burn" before the films reach their climax, and when the big reveal or plot tilt occurs, it doesn't feel like it's enough. But when I sat down to write this review for "House of the Devil", I found myself looking back at both films rather fondly. These are the kind of films that require multiple viewings perhaps; both offer enough substance and tension to chew on for a while and so maybe with a second viewing, both movies might prove to be more rewarding. Having said this, I do prefer "Sacrament" over "House of the Devil" at the moment although the latter is worth checking out. I confess that I'm excited to watch both movies again in the few days!

"House of the Devil" is set, and filmed as if was made, during the early 1980's. The music style, the clothing, the angles that the camera is used to film the movie, and other techniques are all expertly applied. Even the opening and closing credits show traits that were popular during the horror films of the 70's and 80's. The movie itself is about a satanic cult, a lunar eclipse, and a college student in need of cash; all elements that were popular in the 1980's. The way that the story plays out is simple and obvious, playing on the fear of satanic cults in a subtle way. When the action takes place on screen, it's quick and brutal, unlike other horror movies currently that try to drown the viewers with gore and violence.





No comments:

Post a Comment