Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sinister (2012)

"Sinister" was my favorite horror movie that I saw in the theaters last year. I was hooked and enthralled from the very beginning and up to the last 15 or so minutes. When the big reveal came as to why and not who the killer was, I was sadly disappointed. I was really hoping for any other reason than for the one that was given. In my opinion a secret cult would have been the most awesome explanation. But when I noticed that the dates of the murders were at times too close for a mentor/victim relationship to occur, I knew that my hopes were dashed. But this is still an awesome movie with its storyline, spooky home movies, and decent cast. 

Ellison Oswalt is a true crime novelist who is struggling to write his next big hit. He moves his family into the house where a gruesome murder took place and doesn't tell his wife about it. He soon finds a box full of Super 8 home movies that contain graphic murder scenes including the one that happened at his new home. He becomes obsessed with finding out who filmed the movies, hoping that he can solve the murders and gain the fame (and fortune) that would come from it. Unfortunately it only leads him and his family further down a dark and dangerous.

Favorite moment - there is a scene that was very beautiful in the way that it was timed. Ellison (played by Ethan Hawke) is walking through his house, surrounded by the ghost/spirits of children. They move out of his sight just at the right time, running around him and simply being creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment