Search This Blog

Friday, August 16, 2013

Dracula (1931)

“Dracula” is an amazing film that has truly earned any and all accolades that it has been given over the years. This classic captures some, but not all, of the magic from Bram Stroker’s novel about a vampire that wants to feast upon the teeming “millions” of London. There is nothing romantic about this vampire that is portrayed by Bela Lugosi, he is cunning and deadly and is only polite when he needs to be. He is a monster to be reckoned with, but I must admit that I was not aware that Renfield was so creepy in this version. This was the first time I’ve watched this film since I was really young and now I’m thrilled that I’ve rediscovered a classic. In my opinion, what makes this film really frightening is the lack of a soundtrack; this small detail heightens the jerky movements of Lugosi and the silent motions of the vampire “sisters”.


If you haven’t seen this version or read the book….then shame on you!


No comments:

Post a Comment