Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Rawhead Rex (1986)

Raw head Rex is precisely what you would expect a monster on the loose movie to be like from the mid 80's. Cheesy make-up and gore, inconsistent acting, and a monster that looks more mangy than scary. So what I'm saying is that it was over the top, stupid and fun! Perfect for a late night viewing when you’re in the mood for something not too serious.

This is an adaption of a Clive Barker story of the same name; one of the few that I have yet to read. It's a gruesome tale about a demon that runs rampant across the Irish countryside after being freed by a farmer trying to pull up an old tree trunk in his field. Rawhead Rex cannot be stopped by normal means, and only an ancient weapon hidden in a church can vanquish him. Only Howard Hallenbeck, who is in Ireland with his family to study religious artifacts, can vanquish Rawhead Rex.

Shocking moment - When Rawhead Rex kills Howard's son. This still stands out as the part I remember the most (I rented this movie on VHS if that gives you an idea how long ago I saw it!) because I knew it might happen and when it does, I was shocked and in disbelief. No chance to try to save him, as you would expect in most movies, and the actors really seemed devastated.

No comments:

Post a Comment