Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2013

Author's Note - Imported Horror - Spain!


I’ve been very impressed with the quality of horror films that have Spain has shared with the world recently. I have found most of the films I’ve seen to be very intense. One reason this might be is because the stories tend to focus on children; sometimes the child is dealing with issues of abandonment or helplessness, other times it’s about the parents’ loss of a child. For some reason these moments seem to hit my sensibilities more so than when I see similar situations in American made films. All I know is that some film makers, such as Guillermo Del Toro, have an incredible talent to take the fears that children have and make them into the most fascinating and gut wrenching movies around. Speaking of Del Toro, I am including a few of his movies that he has directed and produced in this theme week. Although he is Mexican and not Spanish, these movies take place in Spain and during time periods that directly affect the storyline. That means I’m going to save “Mama” for a later date!

No comments:

Post a Comment