Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Slither (2006)



Watching the movie “Slither” had some unexpected challenges during my first viewing. First and foremost, I could not help comparing this film with one I saw many years ago called “Night of the Creeps”. It turns out I wasn’t the only one to think this as there was a small amount of controversy over the issue. Truth of the matter is that both films may sound similar but vary enough to be their own film.
Secondly, While I had high hopes for “Slither”, I was not expecting it to have such a dark comic side to it. When the scene where the town mob is hunting the “monster” because he’s been killing livestock, I had to turn the movie off and watch something else that night. When I came back to it and watched the second half, I was delighted by what I saw and I learned a valuable lesson; never expect anything. If I hadn’t finished the movie I would never have enjoyed how the dark comic moments really shine in the second half.




Before joining the Marvel team and directing and co-writer “Guardians of the Galaxy”, James Gunn’s directorial debut was the dark science fiction horror comedy “Slither”. Knowing more about him as an artist, as well as Michael Rooker as an actor, the film’s chemistry makes so much more sense. Nathan Fillion and Elizabeth Banks round out this talented crew. The make up team and special effects should also receive kudos for the outstanding work they did in this film.




“Slither” is almost your classic tale of alien life form falling to earth and takes over the first human that comes stumbling along and quickly spreads. We’ve seen this in “The Blob” and “Creepshow” and “Alien” (sort of) and others. But what is different is how it multiplies and once the nest is released, the movie really gets going!

Favorite moment – A teenager is hiding in a truck while her possessed family is asking her to come out. One of her younger sisters, who standing next to the driver’s side door, looks and sounds really creepy. What is it with scary little girls???




No comments:

Post a Comment